Sunday, November 30, 2014

Personal Reflection on Refugee Run Simulation

On 15th November, my fellow REDbird teammates and I have participated in the Refugee Run Simulation organized by Crossroads Foundation as training. We had to live the life of a refugee for about an hour and experience the fear of those staying at refugee camps around the world. It was really eye opening and rewarding that I have decided to share it.

At the beginning, we were briefed the current situations of millions of refugees and the preparation work for the simulation – each participant would receive a new identity (including a name, age, occupation and marital status) and “remaining assets” before entering the dark simulation venue. Suddenly, the room went pitch black and armed troops began to split everyone up. Being separated with my friend, I was terrified as I scrambled to get up; some people even screamed out loud.

In the following hour, my group and I had to be in someone else’s shoes and feel what it was like to face corruption, hunger, illness, and danger at the same time. During daytime, I had to trade in our personal belongings, e.g. watches and shoes for food (only bread and little water for the whole group); at night, my group and I had to share a tent with little room. Nevertheless, none of us could actually rest peacefully. Occasionally, we heard commotion and loud shouting outside the tent but dared not to look – it was later when we discovered that someone has been shot, there was a fight or a robbery, etc. It was unsafe even though we were staying at a refugee camp.

Each of us had no income; children received no education; the injured got zero proper medical care – I just hoped that this would end quickly. Women were raped while men were often interrogated and beaten. Many times, soldiers would verbally abuse us and steal valuables and even our identity cards. Whenever I stood in line (either waiting to get food or medical care), I always stared at the floor instead of the soldiers – I did not want to get into trouble and get hollered at. I witnessed a friend being fired questions at by two soldiers; his hands were above his heads and he was kneeling on the ground facing a blank well. He was desperate to be set free but had no proof identity as it was stolen a while ago. The soldiers did not believe him and directed more questions at him. It was simply painful just to watch him struggle between two rifles.

To me, the most memorable moments were when an inspiring speaker shared touching stories of refugees. When I heard about the current situations of refugees - lacking food, protection, medical care and education opportunities, I was in shock. I truly thought that those living in refugee camps were lucky; they had armed guards day and night and stable supply of resources, right? 

The answer is no. 

Women and children who had to leave the camp daily to get firewood for cooking and warmth face the risks of being raped; men and the elderly who wanted to help them got brutally beaten and their valuables stolen. Outside the camp, there was no one who could save them. 

Inside the camp, people fought for limited resources. They had to use their few assets to trade for little food and water that could definitely not satisfy the whole family's needs; they had to be humiliated and verbally abused by soldiers and had low self-esteem; they could not attend schools and this created a problem of intergenerational poverty. 

Even if they could reach home (not without walking months and months), their houses would have been invaded or torn down. Much time is needed to rebuild a refugee's home and to mend the hole in his heart. Some people spent many years of their lives in a refugee camp in fear. They could not receive psychological care and interact with others normally. This hindered their personal growth and development and wasted their time (which is priceless). 

I have learned a lot throughout the Refugee Run Simulation. Not only am I grateful for what I have, but also I have a lot more respect for refugees. The simulation was different from what I expected – it was realistic and required much movement. For example, we had to scatter around and interact with others instead of sitting passively and getting a lecture for an hour. This allowed me to be in the shoes of a refugee, even though I knew what I experienced was only a tiny percentage of what refugees feel every day.

Before the simulation, I thought that refugees were lucky they got shelter, food and protection during the war. After the simulation, I finally understood how they suffer from illness, hunger and danger daily seriously. Every day, they have less and less faith and feel more anxious about the unpredictable future. They still have to worry about their long lost family members, their homes and their lives ahead. Refugees live in constant fear and being in a refugee camp does not guarantee them a stable and peaceful lifestyle. I thought soldiers were supposed to protect refugees and ensure their safety; instead, soldiers stole our assets to earn money and threatened us a lot. Staying at a refugee camp did not make me feel content; similar to being at war, I had a hard time expecting the unexpected and had to be alert of surrounding environment all the time.

Now, I definitely have more respect for my grandmother, who has witnessed war and faced chaos when the Japanese took over Mainland China. It is correct to say that it is not until we step into others’ shoes and walk a mile that we truly understand how they feel. I will be sure to apply this in future situations and not judge others and everything so quickly.

Furthermore, this activity has made me realize how fortunate I am. Growing up in Hong Kong, I have gained much support from my parents and lived peacefully and safely with no danger. I had no trouble receiving proper medical care, learning opportunities and adequate nutrition growing up. I have never experienced war and post-war life like refugees, who have witnessed the breaking of their families, the horror of not having sufficient resources and the wastage of time and youth waiting and hoping for nothing. After the Refugee Run Simulation, I have vowed to not take everything for granted. I ought to be grateful for what I have and cherish the resources provided to me.

In addition, this brand new experience has helped facilitate my personal growth. Besides the aforementioned increase in respect for others, I have become more accepting towards multiple views. After the simulation, there was a debriefing session in which participants from different walks of life voice out various opinions. Hearing their thoughts has widened my horizons and raised my multicultural awareness. I hope I can apply what I have learnt in the Simulation in future activities and scenarios.

All in all, this activity has strengthened my following REDbird attributes:
  • Respectful
  • Diverse
  • Innovative
  • Responsive 


Since the Refugee Run Simulation is recommended for everyone to join, I would like to direct you to the following website here: https://www.crossroads.org.hk/home/global-x-perience/which-global-x-perience/ , where you will find much information about the said Refugee Run Simulation and other impactful and thought-provoking activities at Crossroads. Of course, you can apply to be a volunteer at Crossroads and help out during your leisure time. 

The REDbird Award Program has allowed me to develop myself and gain more exposure. I look forward to participating in another fruitful and educational event. At the same time, I would love to hear feedbacks from those who have joined the Simulation as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment